If this winter had a slogan to it, it’d be Game of Throne’s “Winter is Coming” because it only seems to be getting colder and colder with rollercoaster weather. Thankfully, that gives an excuse to warm up with a nice hot cup of cocoa, like my recipe of thick & rich French Hot Chocolate. If you’re in need of spoiling yourself on a cheat day, or staying in on a cold winter day in need of a pick-me-up this recipe does just the trick. Here’s how you can make your own batch:
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup table cream
- whipping cream to top
- 1 1/2 cup whole milk (or 2/3 cup table cream 1/3 cup 2% milk)
- 1 tsp powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp espresso or coffee powder
- pinch of salt
- On medium heat, whisk your milk, table cream, coffee powder (or espresso) & powdered sugar. The key component to this recipe is going to be the espresso/ coffee, as well as the bitter sweet chocolate. The bitter counterparted with the sweetness of the sugar is actually what’s going to enhance the flavor of the cocoa.
- Just before boiling, remove from heat and add milk chocolate chips & a pinch of salt. *tip: You can also use bitter sweet chocolate if you have some, I used these two as a substitute.
- Place the cocoa mix back onto the stove, and keep at low heat to melt the chocolate completely.
- Once the chocolate has completely melted, turn up the heat to medium once more. This time, let the mix come to a boil, while stirring vigourously for about 2-3 minutes. This will help thicken the hot chocolate mix.
- Bring the mix off the heat and let cool while you prepare the whipped cream. It’s during this time you’ll notice the cocoa mix will thicken even more. I made my whipped cream from scratch using fresh cream and whipped using an electric mixer for about 2 min till a perfect soft peak consistency.
- Add a small amount of whipped cream to your cup of hot chocolate, and top as you like. You can use chocolate shavings, peppermint candy peices, I personally topped mine with caramel sauce.
And there you have it! A perfect cup of rich hot cocoa for a cold winter day. Best served warm, of course. This winter survival essential is approved by yours truly – S.
Hot summer days are fast approaching, and that also means lemonade season! But why settle for the classic when you can put a twist on it, like a glass of cool sparkling strawberry lemonade. Sweet and tang, it’s the perfect balance to keep cool this summer. Even better, its super quick to make (hot weather and a cranky long recipe never mix anyways). Here’s how to make your own glass:
- 1 cup carbonated water
- 1 handful of strawberries (6-7)
- 1 lemon
- simple syrup (1 part water 1 part granulated sugar)
- If you’ve been keeping up with my blog, you may have heard of simple syrup from my post on a diy starbucks macchiato. If not, no worries, click here for a link on how to make your very own simple syrup. Essentially, take 1 part sugar, 1 part water, heat on medium heat on a stove top for 2-3 min and stir until the sugar dissolves before removing it off the heat. What you should end up with is a clear syrup like condistency!
- Once you’ve prepared your simple syrup, next stop is your strawberries. Taking a handful of strawberries, use a food processor, or a blender works just as fine, and liquify your strawberries. I personally have a super super old school blender, so I allowed my strawberries to blend on a liquify setting for a good 2-3 minutes. Now this part is super important: use a strainer to remove any seeds, else you’ll end up with a not-so smooth refreshment. Once strained, set aside the mix in a bowl.
- Next, time for the main ingrediant of lemons of course! Most recipes will call for store bought lemon juice, but nothing really beats the taste of the real thing. This is why my recipe calls for good old fashioned hand squeezed lemon juice. Squeeze one lemon into the bowl containing your strawberries, and upon adding yout cooled simple syrup, whisk the entire mix together.
- Allow your lemonade mix to chill in a refridgerator, and serve with sparkling water & ice.
And there you have it! A simple, sweet summer strawberry lemonade refresher! Summer approved by yours truly – S.
If you’re a caffeine addict like me, especially someone who needs that variety in flavor choice, then you know how much Starbucks can add up on your monthly savings. Thankfully, I did a little research / experimenting and discovered that all it takes is 2 components: starbucks key ingrediant “simple syrup”, & the technique of getting that signature macchiato layered look! Believe me, you don’t need to be a barista to master either and its budget friendly. Here’s how to get your quick caffeine fix:
- 1 cup cold Milk
- Espresso powder
- 1 tsp water
- 1 cup Ice
- 1 drop of vanilla
- Whipped topping
- Simple syrup (1 part sugar, 1 part water)
- Caramel sauce bought from store
- First, you’re going to need that prime simple syrup. All it consists of is 1 part sugar, 1 part water, boiled down in a pot till its a nice syrup consistency. For the specifity of this drink, use 2 teaspoons sugar with 2 teaspoons water. pour this into the glass you will be using to serve your drink. To create the “vanilla pump”, add one drop of vanilla flavouring to your simple syrup.
- Top with 1 cup of ice cubes, and pour 1 cup of cold milk into your glass.
- Now comes the technical part. you’re going to need 2 shots of espresso . To prepare the espresso shot, mix 2 tsp of espresso with 1 tsp of water. The trick is, to SLOWLY pour the espresso shot over the cold milk, this is what will provide the layered effect.
- Finally to top it off, drizzle with 1 teaspoon of caramel sauce.
Sweet tip: you may also add whipped topping if desired, and top the drink with other flavours, like cinnamon powder.
And there you have it! One home made sweet iced caramel macchiato perfect for any summer day, approved by yours truely- S.
Disclaimer: This is not a sponsored post. Though this is my own recipe inspired by Starbucks off my own deduction, I do not own the original iced caramel macchiato recipe as per the company. All original recipe content is credited to © 2017 Starbucks Corporation.