Let’s start today’s dinner with a little nutrition lesson shall we?
Think of our body as a home, and cells as bricks: they’re the foundation of almost every function our body does hereon after. However, even bricks need to be made somehow first before building something right? In the case of our cells, those are proteins. When you eat dietary proteins such as chicken or fish, these proteins are broken down in the body into essential amino acids. If you think proteins as bricks, you could say amino acids are the concrete used to make those bricks. These amino acids are then further broken down into ATP, aka useable energy for the body, aka your fuel for the day.
When proteins are this important for your body and well being, it’s important to take care of your protein intake. There are many supplements out there today that offer alternatives for protein, such as protein powder or even amino acid pills, but I’m a strong believer that nothing beats the real deal of natural protein intake from food itself.
As of such, Lemon Garlic Salmon is a perfect way to go to help reach your protein intake goal of the day. Salmon is a great source of protein with an added bonus of omega-3 fatty acids. The tangy taste of lemon garlic paired with a quick light cottage cheese pasta salad is the perfect flavor balance, and also a great way to incorporate some carbs & dairy into this meal. As we are aiming to make this a healthy recipe, we’ll be baking our salmon and using low fat cottage cheese. Here’s how to make your very own batch of this wholesome meal:
- 1 pkg of frozen Salmon Filet
- 1 Lemon
- 3 Garlic Cloves
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 1 sprig parsley
- Preheat your oven to 425º F. Line a large baking tray with aluminum foil and set aside.
- Dethaw your salmon filets. Meanwhile, use a mortar and pestol to crush your garlic cloves into a fine paste and set aside. Also during this time, slice 3/4 of your lemon, keeping aside 1/4 to use as juice for the marinade.
- Once the salmon has dethawed, in a small bowl, combine the garlic, some olive oil, and lemon juice. Spread the marinade onto the salmon filets and place them onto the baking tray. Garnish with the remaining lemon slices & chopped parsley.
- Bake for 10 minutes and serve warm.
- 2 cups Tricolored Rotini Pasta
- 1 cup Low Fat Cottage Cheese
- 10 Cherry Tomatoes
- 1 cup Celery, chopped
- 1 cup Mayonnaise
- 1 cup Red onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp Red Whine Vinegar
- Cook and drain the tricolored pasta till al dente. After draining, mix in the red wine vinegar and allow to sit.
- Combine the cottage cheese, mayonnaise, chopped celery, grape tomatoes, & red onion by gently folding. It’s crucial not to harshley stir to allow a clean mix without any of the vegetables being crushed in the process.
- Refridgerate for atleast 1 hour and serve chilled.
And there you have it! One wholesome, protein-packed, delicious meal! This healthy eat is approved by yours truly- S.