On today’s adventure, we’ll be taking a trip once again to the Asian continent to be exploring two of my favourite international dishes: Pad Thai & Honey Lemon chicken.
Pad thai is a popular fast food item here in North America thanks to fast food franchises like Thai express, but its origins are actually from Thailand as a popular street food. Honey Lemon chicken on the other hand is more of an american take on the traditional Chinease recipe for Lemon Chicken.
Both are super simple recipes as they require very few ingrediants, and are both cooking utensil efficient! Since it is afterall summer, nothing spells the season better than a color splash of veggies from the savory pad thai combined with the sweetness of the honey lemon chicken. Here’s how you can whip up your own batch:
- 1/2 cup red cabbage
- 1/2 a yellow bell pepper , 1/2 a red bell pepper
- 5-6 spears asparagus
- A sprig of coriander
- A handful of sesame seeds
- 1 pkg of rice noodles
- 1 carrot
- 1/4 cup sesame oil
- 2 tbsp peanut butter
- 1/3 cup soya sauce
- 1 tsp ginger, grated
- Blend together all the ingrediants required for the pad thai sauce using a blender until smooth and set aside for later use.
- Next step is to chop up your vegetables: your red cabbage & bell peppers shouls both be julienned. Chop up your asparagus, and using a grater, shred your carrot.
- For enhancing the flavor of the vegetables, slightly cook the cabbage, asparagus and peppers in a medium sized pan, providing a slightly smoked taste that really contributes to the overal savory taste of the pad thai.
- Now for your rice noodles, boil the noodles for 4-5 min or as per package instructions. Becareful not to overcook the noodles as they will become sticky. Immediately transfer to a serving dish.
- Add the vegatables and lightly toss together. Add the pad thai sauce and fold together till combined. Top with some roasted sesame seeds and chopped coriander for garnish.
Honey Lemon Chicken
- 4-5 chicken breasts
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 lemon, squeezed
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- Mix all ingrediants for your marinade sauce and set aside. Add a pinch of salt to your chicken before cooking. Keep the skin on, this will contribute to the overall crisp of the finished chicken.
- Set your oven to 450 degrees and broil the chicken on both sides for 15 min each.
- Once broiled, take half of your marinade sauce and brush over the chicken. Bake the chicken once more until a crisp golden brown colour.
- Once the chicken is fully cooked, remove from the oven and dress with the remainder of the honey lemon sauce. Garnish as per taste and serve warm.
And there you have it! Two perfect asian flare summer recipes that’s perfect for any lunch or dinner occasion, pleasing to the tummy as it is to the eyes. These recipes are summer approved by yours truly- S.