When it comes to keeping cool for the summer, there’s a couple options available out there: a) ice cream, b) popsicles, or c) a nice ice cold drink. However, if you grew up in a South Asian household like myself, then you had access to one other option, d) Kulfi.
Kulfi is one of my childhood faves! Since its only found at South Asian markets where I live, it was a rare summer treat for me. But of course, with age & a handy dandy South Asian mother, you learn some tricks up your sleeves how to make your very own kulfi at home, enjoyable at anytime of year! I’ll be sharing this recipe with you guys so you too can make your very own homemade kulfi to keep cool this summer. The best part is, all it takes is just FOUR simple ingrediants. Here’s how:
- One can evaporated milk
- One can sweet condensed milk
- One handful of pistachios (no shell), grounded
- 1 teaspoon of cardamom, grounded
- In a bowl, combine the evaporated and sweet condensed milk.
- Next, take your cardamom pods, and pistachios, and slightly microwave the two until a light golden brown color. This provides a roasted effect, making it easier to grind both the cardamom and pistachios into a fine powder. This also increases the aroma of the two, which is crucial to the overall flavor of the kulfi.
- Next, using a mort and pestol, break open the cardamom pods and remove the skin, leaving behind only the cardamom seeds.
- Next, use a blender to grind together the cardamom seeds and pistachios into a fine powder. Mix this powder into the bowl with the milk mixture and stir well.
- Once combined, pour this mixture into either a popsicle mould, or a kulfi mold. These kulfi molds can be found at any south asian market. If not, a popsickle mold does just as well!
- Allow the kulfi to freeze atleast 6 hours or overnight before serving. Garnish with pistachio powder before serving as per taste.
And there you have it! One creamy, cold, sweet dessert to keep cool this summer. Definately a must for any summer barbecues to finish off a long day. This summer sweet is approved by yours truly- S.
*Tip 1: Kulfi does not only have to be served as a popsicle. It can also be served in a similar fashion to icecream. Freeze the kulfi mix overnight in a bowl sealed with clean wrap overtop. This should give the same kulfi mix ready to be scooped and served!
*Tip 2: Unlike icecream or frozen yogurt, the consistency of kulfi is slighty less thick. Therefore, be sure to be weary of a faster melting time when enjoying this summer treat!