Nothing quite beats an appetizer like fresh out the oven crisp Italian riceballs. Served warm, these make a perfect start to your dinner! Or if you’re like me and prefer a no-fry alternative, this simplistic recipie will not leave your inner health nut feeling guilty. Here’s how:
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 jalapeño pepper
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup uncooked white rice
- 1 1/2 cups dried bread crumbs
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- Cook the white rice by allowing the rice grains to simmer in water for 30-40 min and set aside
- In a seperate bowl, combine the the garlic, cayenne, parmesan, chopped jalapeno pepper, parsley, and salt. Carefully stir in your cooked rice. This will be the base of your riceballs.
- In 2 seperate smaller bowls, have your bread crumbs ready, as well as a mixture of the olive oil and eggs whisked together to serve as a coating for the breadcrumbs.
- After wetting your hands, roll golf size balls of the rice mixture. Dip each rice ball into your egg and oil mix before coating with the breadcrumbs. Place on a baking tray after coating.
- Once the riceballs are coated and ready to bake, preheat your oven to 400° and bake for 15-20 min or until a golden brown colour is visible. Turn over the rice balls and bake for a final 10 minutes.
Serve warm and enjoy! Perfect for dinner parties, or any meal that requires a crisp introduction. Approved by yours truely -S.